Bio Glitter Data
Information FQA (manufactures answers)
- Cosmetic Bio-glitter® is a glitter produced from a special biodegradable film that is certified compostable and sustainable sourced. It does not contain genetically modified materials or materials obtained from genetically modified organisms. Cosmetic Bio-glitter® offers the same precision cut and highly reflective properties as cosmetic polyester (PET) glitter.
- Q. Does Cosmetic Bio-glitter® satisfy the requirements of EU European Cosmetics Regulation 1223/2009 and FDA CFR Title 21 Cosmetic Regulations?
Yes as well as;
China – Hygienic Standard for Cosmetics, July 2007
Japan – Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare Ordinance No 126 of July 29, 2003. QD (JSQI) regulation NOT applicable
Australia – Industrial Chemicals (Notification & Assessment) Act 1998 and Cosmetic Standards 2007
Korea – Korean Cosmetic Products Act (KPCA), 2000
- Bio-glitter® does not have one specific INCI name however it is manufactured from a several ingredients all of which have INCI names.
- Yes. Total content analysis by Inductive Coupled Argon Plasma Spectrometry (ICP-MS) <5ppm, which is the limit of the test method. No antimony is used in the production process.
- No, nor are any third parties contracted to undertake any animal testing
- Yes, both EN71-2: 2011 for flammability and EN71-3: 2013 A1:20014 for migration of certain elements.
- Q. Will Bio-glitter® dissolve in water?
- Q. What conditions are required for biodegradation to occur?
- Heat, water and oxygen are required for effective biodegradation by microorganisms. Bio-glitter® is metabolised by micro-organisms which transforms it into carbon dioxide, water and biomass.
- Cosmetic Bio-glitter® is very stable and will not biodegrade on the shelf. Biodegradation will only be initiated in a soil, compost or waste-water environments where micro-organisms are present.
- Bio-glitter® in the natural state, as supplied has an indefinite shelf life, providing it is stored in dry dark, cool environment, out of direct sunlight, away from direct heat sources and not exposed to micro-organisms.
- Primarily eucalyptus trees. Cosmetic Bio-glitter® is made from a special biodegradable film derived from sustainable and environmentally sourced wood pulp, produced and harvested to FSC® standards.
The European (EN13432) and American (ASTM D6400) standards define the tests required to demonstrate the compostability of a material. Other countries have their own version although there is an ISO standard (ISO 17088:2012(en)) which should allow for harmonisation.
There are four main parts to the test:
- Material characterisation
- including heavy metals
- measures the breakdown to carbon dioxide, water and biomass. Requirement is for >90% biodegradation in 180 days, or >60% for ASTM D6400
- the material must physically break down into pieces to give >90% at <2mm residues within 90 days
- ensures no toxic material is produced which can adversely affect plant growth
The standards measure suitability for industrial composting. For home compostability, the same criteria must be met but under ambient conditions, according to the OK Compost Home Standard.
- The biodegradable film used in Cosmetic Bio-glitter® is certified to these norms for compostable packaging and is eligible to carry the seedling logo from Din Certco and the certification marks of the BPI and AIB Vinçotte, where applicable. It is also certified by AIB Vinçotte for home compostability according to the OK Compost Home standard.
- Rate of biodegradation is dependent upon composting conditions. Like a leaf in a swamp Vs a leaf in the desert. The biodegradable film is accredited according to the standards referred to in the previous FAQs. Cosmetic Bioglitter® has the advantage that most glitter particle sizes in the product range are already <2mm in size and immediately pass the disintegration criteria for the standard.
- The biodegradable film used in Cosmetic Bio-glitter® biodegrades in sea water in accordance with the standard ASTM D7081-05.
- No ‘genetically modified materials’ are used in the production process and based on information from our Suppliers none of the materials used to formulate Cosmetic Bio-glitter® are obtained from GMO’s.
- It can be successfully recycled with carton-board but not currently recommended for mechanical recycling with paper.
- As it is not a thermoplastic material it is not recommended.
- No, not even in the Black Bio-glitter®. The D&C Black 2 pigment we use has been carefully selected and is non-nanoform
- Bio-glitter® is defined as a finished article and therefore does not require registration under REACH. We can however confirm that Bio-glitter® does not contain any SVHC's (Substances of Very High Concern) as defined under REACH regulations